After a several years of Team-in-Training, a few San Francisco-based athletes were ready to create their own thing. Named Rare Bird Athletics, they wanted a cycling and triathlon kit to easily spot each other riding over the Golden Gate Bridge or running through the Presidio.
The driver for this kit was that several of the members were training for Ironman Canada and were itching to represent on the course. The team wanted the kits to feature distinguishable markings, be consistent with the existing brand and unify the multi-sport athletes under one look.
The team wanted the kits to feature distinguishable markings, be consistent with the existing brand and unify the multi-sport athletes under one look.
As you can see from the final designs below, we leaned heavily on the bird theme.
- Create cycling, triathlon, running gear and swag
- Use the bright brand colors to draw attention to the rider, but black and patterned “plumage” to add a sleek but boldness to the kit
- Let the design speak for itself/avoid unnecessary verbiage
- Create a kit that flatters many body types
- Design for extensibility for future product lines
- Designed and produced seven products: a cycle jersey (no longer in the store), cycle shorts, bib shorts, triathlon top, a run shirt, a neck wrap and a backpack
- Sold over 100 units total – over 25 units of the cycle jersey alone
- Received many compliments while out there wearing the gear