San Francisco-based triathlon club Rare Bird Athletics needed a cycling and triathlon kit. It needed to be consistent with the existing brand, unify multi-sport athletes under one look and distinguished them apart from the masses.
As you can see from the final designs below, we leaned heavily on the ‘bird’ theme.
- Use the bright brand colors to draw attention to the rider, but black and patterned ‘plumage’ to add a sleek but boldness to the kit.
- Let the design speak for itself/avoid unnecessary verbiage. Only use the team name, city or origin and partner team logo on the kit.
- Create a kit that would be flattering on various body types.
- Allow the design to be extensible into future product lines.
- Designed and produced seven products: a cycle jersey (no longer in the store), cycle shorts, bib shorts, triathlon top, a run shirt, a neck wrap and a backpack.
- Sold over 100 units total, sold over 25 units of the cycle jersey alone.
- Received many compliments while out there wearing the gear!