Team Cancer Sucks is an endurance sports community on a mission. They race to raise funds that help cancer patients access the medical care they need to live. When one of the founders AJ lost his own battle to cancer, the AJ STRONG run began.
This year was the 3rd annual AJ STRONG run, and Team Cancer Sucks wanted to make it more official. Professional bibs, timing chips, options to run virtually…and dope medals for finishers.
Team Cancer Sucks is iconic for having the boldest, freshest kits and swag on course, so the medals had to follow suit. When WARCAT was tasked with the project, we knew we had to do right by them.
We mocked up few designs and shared them with the team – and only needed to do one iteration! Unheard of in design-land. Details below.
- Produce a medal for the 3rd Annual Run that captures AJ’s “BE ABOUT IT” ethos
- Ensure design complements the existing bold, fresh, colorful Team Cancer Sucks brand
- Create photogenic medal so recipients post and promote on social
- Honor the race purpose, AJ and our city on the medal without overcomplicating design
- Designed, produced and shipped 200, bold 3 ½” diameter circular spinning medals, awarded to local and virtual finishers
- Race participants posted tons of photos (examples below) on social media
- Medal design was so well received it was extended into the race shirts
- Approached by other race producers about designing their medal
WARCAT helped on the AJ STRONG medals, but the Team Cancer Sucks brand creates its own amazing kits to help decrease the financial burden on families living with loved ones with cancer. Check them out.